Sue For A “Stop Payment” Check

Find Out More

Fill Out The Form Below To Learn More

By submitting this form, you agree to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

f someone stops payment on a check without a good faith dispute, you can sue for the amount of the check plus 3 times the amount of the check, with a minimum of $100 and a maximum of $1,500.

How do I sue?

* Send a demand letter to the person who wrote the check by certified mail with return receipt requested.

* Click here to see a sample “Stop Payment” demand letter. Click here for help writing a “Stop Payment” demand letter.

* Then wait 30 days. If you aren’t paid in 30 days, file a claim in small claims court.

What should I bring to my hearing?

Bring a copy of the letter you sent and proof from the post office that the letter was sent by certified mail.

Common Disputes Heard in Small Claims Court

What People Are Saying

Rachel Elliot

“Our office looks for quality law clerks and future attorneys. We have a strong relationship with Empire College and fill many of our openings with its graduates.”

Rachel Elliot, Deputy Public Defender, Law Office of the Public Defender, Sonoma County

Call Empire College

or fill out the form below


By submitting this form, you give Empire College your consent, without obligation to purchase services from Empire College, to be called and texted using automated technology regarding educational services at the number provided above. You can also call 1-877-395-8535.